What is one of the signs of a true fashionista?
You know how to hit the off-price shopping stores (e.g. Marshalls, T.J.Maxx) where you can get some great designer merchandise for a lot less than the department stores.
Of course, they won’t always have the sizes and selection of a big department store, and that means you have to be disciplined, patient and have a keen sense of what you need and never be swayed by the price. OK, never is a strong word, but you get the picture.
So what is a professional shopper’s secret to not getting overwhelmed and then coming home with things that end up just hanging in your closet with the tags still on them? That is go with a plan! Know what you need and bring a list. Try not to get off course and you will be well prepared for your next adventure.
Here are 5 tips on how to shop for summer basics:
• Shop now, for summer sales. Look for a way to add some color and life to your wardrobe. Yellows and turquoise are all the rage. How about a swimsuit in one of those colors or a cover-up?
• Bring it up, bling it on and embellish it. This is the year of the bling—from swimsuits to purses…bigger, bolder with lots of hardware is what is in style. These stores have a great selection now. You can go crazy, but try to hold yourself back!
• Protecting your baby blues—sunglasses. Why spend a ton on sunglasses? No one will know the difference if you have a pair of off-price or full price. I always pick up a cheapo pair to take to the beach, so that if I get them scratched up, it won’t be $250 down the drain! Aviators and Jackie O styles are all the rage. If you have not updated your sunglasses in a while, you can get some bargains now.
• Beach bags need to be hip, too. Who wants to spend a fortune on a beach bag? While you’re at it, why not make sure it coordinates with your cover-up? What’s hot? Oversized straw bags with ribbon detailing or a cross-body messenger bag.
• Mad for hats! Stay sun protected with a wide-brimmed straw hat in a variety of colors and details or try a lightweight fedora or boater-style hat. If you are still wearing your Gillian style floppy Flyers hat, run out and replace—now!
Concord Square Shopping Center
4137 Concord Pike, Wilmington
5627 Concord Pike, Wilmington