Type to search

Partner Content*

Ask The Top Lawyer Partner Content People Community Sponsored Content

Ask The Top Lawyer: Frederick Freibott on Workers Compensation


Why retain a workers’ compensation attorney?


Frederick Freibott

This is a common concern among injured Delaware employees. From a legal standpoint, you do not need to retain a workers’ compensation lawyer. Delaware workers’ compensation laws do not require that you obtain legal counsel. You can file the claim yourself. However, the Delaware workers’ compensation system, like all areas of law, is very complex, and if you file the claim yourself you may very well jeopardize your case. A Delaware workers’ compensation claim should be handled by an experienced attorney. If there is one aspect of the claim-filing process you overlook or do incorrectly, you can disqualify yourself from obtaining benefits.

What does it cost to retain a workers’ compensation attorney?

This is another common concern work injury victims have. It costs nothing to hire a workers’ compensation lawyer at The Freibott Law Firm. We handle all accident, injury, workers’ compensation and wrongful death claims on a contingency fee basis. This means we cover any and all costs associated with your claim. We charge no fees or costs of any kind unless we recover benefits, and financial compensation for you and your family.

What is the value of my workers’ compensation claim?

The true, current and future dollar value of your claim is not always easy to predict. It is almost impossible to determine the value of an injury claim immediately after an accident. Some injuries may take longer to appear, and you may feel fine immediately following an accident.When determining the full value of your claim, our workers’ compensation lawyers will take all factors into consideration. These include: lost wages (current and future); medical expenses (current and future); permanent impairment benefits; and scarring and disfigurement benefits. Ensuring that you get the maximum amount of compensation and benefits is another reason why it makes sense to retain our workers’ compensation lawyers.

Can I be fired for filing a workers’ compensation claim?

No. If you have been fired, laid off or experienced a change in your hours, shifts or job description as a result of having filed a workers’ compensation claim in Delaware, contact the workers’ compensation lawyers at The Freibott Law Firm. Delaware workers’ compensation law explicitly prohibit an injured worker being fired, or otherwise retaliated against, for filing a work compensation claim.

Can I file a claim if I was injured on the way to or from work?

It is possible. Delaware, like other states, has laws in place that pertain to injuries sustained on the way to or from work, or while running a work-related errand. These laws are explained by Delaware’s Coming and Going Rule. Our workers’ compensation lawyers will analyze your claim and decide if you have a case.

What if I was hurt at work and a subsequent injury occurred?

The State of Delaware has a Subsequent Injury Fund for cases like these. Rather than try to decide for yourself if this fund is applicable in your case, please contact our workers’ compensation lawyers and let them review your case. They will do everything in their power to get you the benefits and financial compensation you deserve.

Mr. Frederick Freibott, a Delaware native, graduated from a local high school. The son of two teachers with over 65 years of teaching experience, he knows the importance of education and dedication to his community.Mr. Freibott understands the importance of working hard for his clients to obtain the best possible results. He earned his college degree at Gettysburg College and his law degree from The Widener University School of Law. He is a member of the Delaware State Bar Association and the Delaware Trial Lawyers Association.Mr.Freibott’s peers recently voted him one of the top personal injury lawyers in the state of Delaware. For a free consultation, call (302) 633-9000.

Wilmington Office
1711 E. Newport Pike
P.O. Box 6168
Wilmington, Del., 19804
(302) 633-9000

Bear/Middletown: (302) 838-0700
: (302) 653-5200
Sussex County: (302) 227-9559


*What’s this? This content is made possible by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the attitude, views, or opinions of the Delaware Today editorial staff.