Sharon Collison, a clinical instructor in nutrition at the University of Delaware, shares a healthy recipe just in time for spring. Enjoy!
Farro Salad with Roasted Spring Vegetables
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups assorted spring vegetables (orange/red/yellow peppers, asparagus, radishes, sugar snap peas), trimmed if needed and cut into same-size pieces
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups cooked farro (made from 1 cup dry farro), at room temperature
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- ½ bunch scallions; green parts only, chopped
- 4 cups spring mix greens
- Lemon wedges to garnish (optional)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place dressing ingredients in a jar and shake until well combined. Set aside.
Combine minced garlic and olive oil in a large bowl. Toss all vegetables in mixture until coated. Spread vegetables out in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet, and sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper. Roast, stirring halfway through, until tender, golden brown and slightly charred (about 30 minutes). Slice roasted vegetables into bite-size pieces.
Place spring mix greens on a serving platter. Top evenly with farro and roasted vegetables. Sprinkle feta cheese and scallions on top. Drizzle dressing evenly over the salad. Serve at room temperature or chilled. Garnish with lemon wedges, if desired.
Sharon Collison, MS, RD, LDN, CSSD
Clinical Instructor in Nutrition
Department of Behavioral Health and Nutrition
University of Delaware
Nutrition Center at STAR Health
540 S. College Ave., Suite 130, Newark