1. Going Beyond Blue: The Back-to-School Jeans – Goodbye blues. Go for colors that are classic, yet add a pop to your school wardrobe. Burgundy and olive provide a good base for bolder pieces and can easily be transitioned into the fall.
2. Favorite Band Tee – Band tees are back and the more vintage-looking, the better. Dig through Dad’s closet and bring back his old Van Halen and Rolling Stones tees. (You know he still has ’em.)
3. Running Sneakers – Replace last year’s running shoes with some new kicks. You’re going to need them—especially when gym class dodgeball starts.
4. Boots – Whether they be black or a classic brown, new boots are a necessity for the fall/winter season. Sturdier than sneakers, they make it easier to walk from class to class and provide much more warmth than a ballet flat ever could. For boys, Timberland boots are not only comfortable, they go with everything from sweatpants to jeans to khakis.
5. Fall Jacket – Look for a jacket that’s lightweight, so that it can be worn during class and outside. A twill, fitted jacket will give a more sleek look, whereas classic denim provides comfort and ease. Boys can opt for denim or fleece-lined jackets.
6. Back-to-School Haircut – Time to trim your summertime tresses that have been put through chlorine, salt and sand. Do so about three weeks before school starts so that you allow time to get used to your new cut.