Cowgill’s Corner Octagonal Schoolhouse One of the Nation’s First Public Schools

The schoolhouse near Little Creek opened in 1836 and is one of the few remaining buildings from that time period.

Photo courtesy of the Delaware Historical Society (dehistory.org)

In 1829, Delaware became the second state to offer a free public school system. The Cowgill’s Corner octagonal schoolhouse near Little Creek opened in 1836 and is one of the few remaining buildings from that time period. The school was active into the early 20th century when it was transitioned for use as a community meeting house. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.

Our Excellence in Nursing Awards event takes place on May 9!

Our Best of Delaware Elimination Ballot is open through February 22!

Holiday flash sale ... subscribe and save 50%

Limited time offer. New subscribers only.