Want to treat your family and friends to something truly unique this holiday season? Skip the big-box stores and shop local at these hotspots around the First State instead. Not only will you be sure to find one-of-a-kind gifts, but you’ll also support regional businesses in the process.
1. Help your loved ones stay healthy with a tasty, locally made organic elixir. Wilmington–based Hilary’s Homemade Elderberry Syrup, $35 for 16 ounces, text or call 215-264-3293 to order before the first of each month.
2. Indulge the senses and support women who have survived trafficking, prostitution and addiction with your purchase. Thistle Farms healing oil roller, $15, at Clean Slate Goods, Kennett Square.
3. For the gal (or guy) who is sustainable and stylish. Daydream Weaver recycled cotton Mini Morgan Hoop Earrings, $50, at shopdaydreamweaver.com; Coral Cove, Rehoboth Beach; Kurtz Collection, Glen Mills; and Wilmington County Store, Greenville.
4. Gift winter-fresh air year-round. Peace Lily air purifier, available in a variety of sizes and prices, at Old Country Gardens, Wilmington. oldcountrygardens.com.
5. Melt away tension while firming, tightening and sculpting the skin. Mount Lai jade massage tool, $72, at Terrain, Glen Mills.
6. Stuff your favorite chef’s stocking with this perfect cooking accoutrement, harvested by hand from saltwater near Cape Henlopen. Henlopen Sea Salt, $11.99 for 2 ounces, at henlopenseasalt.com.
7. Adorn responsibly. David Yurman Cable Edge Saddle Ring made from recycled gold, $5,500, at Nordstrom stores.
8. Customize a bottle of bubbly. Amy Dean personalized painted bottles, price upon request. Call 530-1368 or visit amydeanart.com.
9. Bring the fresh smell of Christmas in Lewes indoors. Salt Town Trading Co. nontoxic coconut soy candle (designed by local artist Corinne Pomeroy), $15–$42, at salttowntradingco.com.
10. A Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) subscription is a great way to boost your health and the local farm economy. Visit knowhereyourfoodcomesfrom.com for a list of CSAs upstate and downstate.