It doesn’t get much more historic in downtown Lewes than the Metcalf House, an eye-catching 18th-century red dwelling with green shutters on the corner of West Third and Market streets. The property is steeped in Colonial charm, with exposed ceiling beams, chair rails and hardwood floors, and has a notable Lewes backstory to boot.
The original owner, a drayman who rented horses, buggies and surreys to locals and visitors, made the property his base to both run his business and raise a family. The site once included stables, outbuildings and three houses. In 1860, the largest house, believed to be constructed in 1790, was joined with the two smaller houses, built circa 1740.
Now a single-family home with three bedrooms and two baths, the Metcalf House is strolling distance from restaurants, shopping, and the Lewes and Rehoboth Canal. It’s also a convenient skip from Cape Henlopen State Park and other local beaches.
Listed by Jack Redefer of Rehoboth Bay Realty.
Published as “A Storied Property” in the April 2020 issue in Delaware Today magazine.