Johnny Di Santis of True Rival Fitness in Wilmington says this healthy smoothie recipe tastes so good that you may feel guilty drinking it (though you shouldn’t). He has one every day in the late afternoon. Enjoy!
“Best Drink Ever”
I start by making a strawberry purée. I buy a four-pound bag of frozen strawberries from Target or Walmart. Let the bag thaw in the fridge for a couple of days until the strawberries are fairly soft. Empty the entire bag into your blender. You should only need to blend for about 60 seconds. Pour the purée into a large sealed container (something with a spout works best) that you’ll keep in the refrigerator. Then, just use the mixture as needed.
- Approximately 4 ounces of strawberry purée
- 1 scoop of vanilla whey protein isolate
- 1 tablespoon of walnut meal (ground walnuts)
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- About 10–12 blueberries
- 2-inch piece of banana (I keep mine frozen)
- A splash of water (add more if mixture is too thick after blending)
- 2 large ice cubes
Shake ingredients, then add two large ice cubes (or equivalent in smaller-sized cubes). Blend until all ingredients are mixed well. End result should be thick like a milkshake. (You can experiment and add what you like.)