Seaford Nylon Plant

Now a national historic landmark, the plant was the country’s first nylon producer.

Seaford // 1940s 

These women were hard at work at the Seaford Nylon Plant. The DuPont Co., led by chemist Wallace Carothers, developed nylon and patented it in 1938. During World War II (when this picture was taken), DuPont used nylon to replace hemp and Asian silk in making parachutes. The Seaford plant was the first to produce nylon. It became a national historic landphoto  mark in 1995. courtesy of the Delaware Historical Society (dehistory.org)

Our Best of Delaware Elimination Ballot is open through February 22!

Holiday flash sale ... subscribe and save 50%

Limited time offer. New subscribers only.