401 Phillips Avenue
Newark, DE 19711
â€‹NCCL (Newark Center for Creative Learning) is an independent, progressive education elementary and middle school covering kindergarten through 8th grade. Small multi-age classes are led by expert teachers (10:1 ratio). Graduates leave as creative problem-solvers prepared to thrive in our complex world.
Structured K–8 curriculum includes: mathematics, reading, writing, social studies, science, Spanish, music, art, physical education and full recess for all ages.
Provide a robust academic and cultural foundation, which inspires the joy of discovery in each child and fosters curious, creative, critical thinkers.
- Experiential learning—inquiry-based projects, short- and long-term
- Connections across academics, such as math with history
- Consensus and decision making—creating a culture of trust and respect
- Community and collaboration—our collaborative spirit makes us strong
- Importance of the individual—social and emotional skills such as inclusion, empathy, kindness and diversity
- Environmental stewardship—taking responsibility for the impact our choices have
Our philosophy is that children learn best when:
- They are actively involved.
- They use all of their senses to discuss, debate, explore, investigate, create and gather their own information.
- They study subjects in depth rather than in broad overviews, bringing in information and concepts from related areas.
- They are interested in the topic, are challenged but not frustrated, and are having fun.
Our curriculum is designed to:
- Rely on non-competitive assessments, not standardized testing.
- Be child-centered.
- Be developmentally appropriate.
- Teach key concepts and skills, academically and socially.
- Include open-ended learning experiences which have many solutions to one problem.
- Be integrated.
- Respond to children’s needs and interests.