What’s that delicious smell? It’s probably coming all the way from Kennett Square, the “mushroom capital of the world,” during the area’s annual Mushroom Festival. The three-day event begins on Sept. 9 with a community parade and old-fashioned carnival. (Read our September story about this thriving mushroom industry here.)
The mission of the festival is to promote the mushroom, educate consumers about the health benefits of mushrooms and to promote tourism in Southern Chester County, all while financially supporting local and regional charities through a grant process.
Highlights will include:
- The serving of the official mushroom soup on Saturday at 11 a.m. at the Masonic Lodge (Center and Cypress streets)
- The Fried Mushroom Eating Contest on Saturday at 3 p.m. at the Special Events Tent (Willow and E. State streets)
- A culinary demo featuring MacGregor Mann of Junto, located at the Culinary Tent on Broad Street
- The Mushroom Run/Walk on Saturday at 8:30 a.m., beginning on South Street in front of Kennett High School
- The Cute-As-A-Button Baby Photo Contest begins on Sunday at 10 a.m. at E. State and Broad streets. It will be followed by culinary demo featuring Robbie Jester of Stone Balloon Ale House, located at the Culinary Tent on Broad Street
Admission is $3 per person (ages 12 and up).
GPS directions: 101 South Union St., Kennett Square, Pa.