• The currency in Scotland is the British pound. Credit cards are accepted in cities and major hotels but many small bed-and-breakfast inns and pubs deal only in cash.
• U.S. citizens require a passport but don’t need a visa unless they plan to stay six months or more.
• Current is 240VAC, 50Hz. That means hair dryers and other personal appliances made in North America require an adapter.
• Time throughout Scotland is five hours ahead of U.S. Eastern Standard Time.
• Tipping is not expected in bars. For good service in restaurants, add 10-15 percent to the tab. Round up to the nearest pound for taxi drivers.
» For more about Honeymooning in Scotland, click here.